Everyone loves a good day out. The fresh air, beautiful blue sky, green scenery, warm sunlight……and those pesky bugs! Insect bites are an unfortunate fact of life in the great outdoors, and if you have children, a source of much scratching and crying.
Insects inject venom into the body when they bite. While in most cases we don’t feel more than a temporary sting or a prolonged itchiness and swelling from the bite, many times a simple bite/sting can lead to a dangerous allergic reaction. Bites or stings from insects such as fire ants, hornets, yellow jackets, honeybees, wasps etc. are the most likely to cause allergic reactions.
Keep yourself safe by avoiding brightly colored clothes or strong-smelling perfumes/deodorants and hairsprays outdoors. Remember to cover foods and sweet drinks, and do not walk barefoot. Use insect repellent when outdoors during late-summer and early-autumn, when these insects are most active.
There are more than 2 million Americans who suffer from insect sting allergies, among whom 50 die each year.
Insect bite allergies show symptoms such as –
· Swelling of the throat, tongue or face
· Itchiness over larger portions of the body
· Dizziness and difficulty breathing
· Stomach cramps
Emergency or preventive treatment, especially for those who have known insect sting allergies, includes –
· Self-administered epinephrine(adrenaline) Kits
· Venom Immunotherapy or Venom Allergy Shots
If you show severe reactions to insect bites/stings, immediately contact a doctor and seek medical care. Take precautions by getting yourself and your loved ones checked out for insect sting allergy. Call us at 240-558-3130 for immediate treatment from insect bite or sting related allergic reactions.