Many people suffer from asthma-like symptoms after performing simple household tasks like vacuuming. One of the reasons for this reaction may be the presence of dust and dust particles in the air and in the surrounding environments.
Dust contains any number of things including dirt, human skin, insect parts, food particles and dust mites.
Dust mites are microscopic arachnids that feed on organic detritus like flakes of dead human skin. They are the major cause of dust related allergies.
Symptoms include –
· Runny nose and congestion
· Watery eyes
· Itchiness in eyes, skin, chest and face
Major dust related allergies can be mitigated by –
· Washing bed sheets and blankets regularly
· Using tightly woven carpets and rugs
· Minimizing items in your home that collect dust
· Using roll-up window shades rather than curtains
· Using polyester fiber pillows
· Enclosing mattresses and pillows in dust-free, compact covers
If you feel that you are suffering from symptoms similar to allergies while performing simple household chores, you may be suffering from a dust allergy. Come in to Silver Spring Allergy Clinic and let our experts provide you with the treatment you need.